Main / Production / Capacitor starting systems CSS for diesel engines
Capacitor starting systems CSS for diesel engines
Capacitor starting systems (CSS) are designed to increase reliability and service life of diesel starting systems, improve operation and servicing conditions of the locomotives, especially under low ambient temperatures.
Capacitor starting systems of locomotive diesels include capacitive molecular energy stores (MES) allow to overcome the starting resistance of the crankshaft (1.5 – 2 seconds) and decrease the starting accumulator battery current almost ten times. CSS are designed for the following purposes: increase the reliability, increase the diesel service life, improving operational and servicing conditions of the locomotives. The following improvements and advantages are achieved due to use of CSS :
- The diesel can be started even in case the capacity of the accumulator battery drops to 40-30 %.
- The starting power of the CSS almost 10 times exceeds the standard accumulator batteries.
- Guaranteed quick starting of the diesel at low temperatures ensures considerable fuel economy, especially at industrial enterprises with cyclical technological transportation.
- Allows to decrease the required capacity of the accumulator batteries, to replace them with cheaper ones, for example, car batteries.
- Economy up to 7 thousand USD can be achieved only due to the difference in prices of the batteries.
- It is possible to use traction accumulator batteries of long-term discharge or lead acid batteryes, their cost is 2 to 8 times less than that of the standard batteries, and the service life is almost the same.
- The service life of the CSS is up to 15 years.
- The number of charge-discharge cycles – 2 millions.
- MES are fire and explosion safe, don’t contain toxic substances.
- CSS are extremely reliable, don’t require special maintenance, they withstand deep discharges, wrong polarity and short circuit.
Capacitor starting systems are connected to standard starting systems of EN-US"> locomotive diesels.
The standard starting system includes starter-generator or traction generator which works in as a starter, accumulator battery (AB) with rated voltage 64 V or 96 V, oil pumping system and starting contactors.
Capacitor system CSS -75 with energy storages MES -25/75 is designed for locomotive starting systems with control voltage 75 V and rated accumulator voltage 64 V. Capacitor system CSS -9/110 is designed for locomotive starting systems with control voltage 110 V and rated accumulator voltage 96 V.
The charging-discharging equipment, erection and servicing of the CSS are made by Scientific-and-Production Company LLC “Yugtechnotrans” (Certificate of the authorized representative in Ukraine dated 01.07.2008).